It is much more difficult today to get people to sign up for anything than it was in the past. Back in 2005 e-mail lists were still quite new as were e-mail newsletters so many people signed up because they were a novelty. Today things are different. E-mail newsletters are everywhere and you will see sign up boxes on many of the websites that you visit.
The best way to get people to sign up to your e-mail list is to have a landing page specifically for your lead magnet. A landing page is the page on your website on which you want visitors to arrive or “land”. This page is not your home page.
Your landing page has one purpose. That is to encourage people to join your e-mail list in order to gain access to your lead magnet. Therefore, the text must give people reasons why they should sign up.
You should also have sign up boxes in other positions on your web pages.
- You should have a sign up box in your blog sidebar, but remember people viewing your site on a mobile device may never see your sidebar.
- You should have a sign up box in the footer of each blog post.
- You should have a sign up box on your About page.
- You should also consider having a “light box” or pop-up sign up box.
- You should have a sign up box anywhere where you think it will work.